Stantons & Bordens on the Newport River

The Geo. L. Morton Co., Manufacturers of Spirits Turpentine, Rosin, Pitch
Wilmington, North Carolina about 1888
(This image is posted as an example of what a mill would have looked like. It may be a coincidence that this one was partially owned by George L. Morton - don't know, as of now, if there is a relation here)

Miss Annie Morton's roots on her mother's side go back to Henry Stanton 1688, who came to the Newport River area of Carteret County about 1732. Minnie Stanton was the daughter of Josephine Marshall and Benjamin Franklin Stanton born in 1830 on Core Sound. Benjamin was the g-g-g grandson of Henry Stanton 1688 who came to the area with the Bordens and other Quakers from Newport, RI. They had mills and boatbuilding facilities on both sides of the Newport.
- Henry Stanton Sr. ca. 1688-1751 was a boatbuilder who established Quaker Core Sound Meeting. His last will and testament left land to his sons at Swimming Point, Queen’s Creek and Bare Banks.
- William Borden Sr. ca. 1689-1748, one of the foremost shipbuilders of his time, was attracted to the excellence and low cost of lumber in North Carolina. He arrived in 1732 with a group of Quakers from RI, settled on the Newport River and began building vessels—becoming one of the South’s pioneer shipbuilders. William Borden was also widely known for the manufacture of duck used to make sails. Borden was elected a member of NC General Assembly but declined to be sworn in as he was a Quaker.